Monday, May 30, 2011

Week 5: The Faces of Midlake; Starting over with a rabbit, and an ox...

Happy Memorial Day!  Welcome to week 5.  I know I am late, but had a busy weekend back in Omaha attending a wedding, and spending a wonderful night at the local watering hole, Brownies.  Hug your new neighbor (if you were there, you know what I'm talking about! "I love inside jokes.  I hope to be a part of one someday." -Michael Scott).   As usual I would like to take this time to welcome the new followers: Ed, Bri, Darren, Kent and Audrey.  We are now 12 strong folks! I would also like to point out that my cousin Kent is currently on a three week journey across the western United States in his car.  Here is a link to his blog http://kntnt.blogspot.com/, check it out! You will like it!

Unfortunately, since I was out of town this weekend, I was not able to grab a new IPA and give a glorious review so for that I give myself:

Two eyebrows down...or are the up!?! Yo no se....(thanks for the senior pic Nezar!)

This week I have not been listening a lot of new music, but I have revisited Midlake, and am glad that I did.  I have decided this week to pick  a song from each of their 3 LPs: Bamnan & Slivercork (2004), Trials of Van Occupanther (2006), Courage of Others (2010).  The reason I love Midlake so much is that each of their songs are an epic adventure that feels to be set back in time.  I feel like The Trails of Van Occupanther is a trip through the 1800s in the hillsides of the Northeast, from building homes out of stones, to being robbed by bandits only to start over with a rabbit and an ox.  Then Courage of Others takes me to medieval times, sucking on a turkey leg at the town joust and stoning.  There are so many great songs on each of their albums, and they all include a uniquely different sound.  I had the pleasure of seeing Midlake at SXSW several years ago, and was captivated by their sound and stage presence.  I hope that you can appreciate their sound as I do, and look forward to hearing what you have think of this weeks' choice.  Have a fun short week, and I will see you next week.  For now...ENJOY!

From Bamnan & Slivercork, "Balloon Maker":


From Trials of Van Occupanter, "Roscoe":


From Courage of Others, "Rulers, Ruling all Things":

No comments:

Post a Comment