Saturday, May 14, 2011

Week 3: Wye Oak? Wye Not!

Welcome to week 3 of my now world famous blog.  Just a few announcements before I get to my pick of the week.  I have a new follower this week, bringing my total to 3 now.  I would like to thank my mother-in-law, Donna and the Silk Thumb (An incredible band name!?! I think so), for joining the team.  I am positive that you just listen to all of these new songs on your iPod...I am also adding a new element to my blog, because I have the power to, in which I will be drinking a new beer (mostly IPAs and Pale Ales, but I'm not scared to stray) while I blog.  I will be giving my own personal review on how it tastes and will be judging them on raised eyebrows as follows:

2 raised eyebrows = off the chook
1 raised eyebrow = Pretty good but still on the chook
No raised eyebrows = try a beer that I rated two raised eyebrows.

This weeks IPA comes all the way from Lakewood, NY.  It is Southern Tier's IPA and it is good.  I think it should be called Bunny IPA because it has so many hops!  It is brewed with 4 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts. I like it!  I give this IPA:



2 RAISED EYEBROWS!

Now down to business.  This week I have selected a song from the band Wye Oak.  Wye Oak is a two man band consisting of Andy Stack (drums, keyboards, backup vocals) and Jenn Wasner (vocals, guitars).  They are out of Baltimore, MD.  I really liked their last album The Knot, and have selected the song "Dogs' Eyes" off of their recently released album Civilian.  I debated all week with Jamie whether I should pick "Dogs' Eyes" or the title track "Civilian," and I have decided to choose against her better judgment.  Though I love both songs, I love "Dogs' Eyes" just a touch more.  The thing that throws her for a loop the most is the random guitar instrumental in the middle and again at the end of the song, but the more I listen to the song the more I learn to appreciate it , and really start to enjoy it.  I love the guitar and how the song picks up after the instrumental.  As you listen to Wye Oak more, you will see that in several songs Jenn will break it down with the guitar and I can respect that!  I will link both songs so you all can choose whether or not I made the right choice.  I hope you like it and look forward to next week!

If you like these, also check out "Siamese" and "For Prayer" from The Knot

Dogs' Eyes:





Civilian (Live from NPR's Tiny Desk):

1 comment:

  1. You are too funny Danny! Looks like your followers have doubled since I joined in on the fun. As soon as I figure out how to use an Ipod, I will listen to your two raised eyebrowed songs.

    Thanks for the Silk Thumb nod.

    ReplyDelete